If your family is anything like mine, pancakes are a weekly staple in our household! These fluffy and delicious sourdough discard pancakes will certainly put a smile on your kids (and your husband’s) faces.
I was always searching for the perfect pancake recipe, but it wasn’t until I started baking sourdough bread that I finally started experimenting with the discard, and was able to cook up the perfect most tasty pancake!
If you have been baking sourdough bread for a while now, you know that you are constantly trying to use up the discard you have from constantly feeding your starter. There are so many amazing recipes out there to use up your discard and hopefully these pancakes will be a great addition to your list!
These really are the BEST sourdough discard pancakes!
The great thing about this recipe, is that it’s really hard to “mess up”.
I have used flours such as a paleo blend, whole wheat, and even gluten free and they always turn out just a fluffy and delicious!
That little hint of sourness from the sourdough discard is what makes these taste so good!
My husband even said, he liked them better than the typical pancakes I used to make. That’s a huge win in my book!
So, give these sourdough discard pancakes a try, and have fun experimenting with the mix-ins. It’s so easy, and your family is sure to love them!
What’s not to love? They are simple, delicious, a great start to any morning:)
Sourdough Discard Pancakes
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (Whole Wheat & Gluten Free also work great!)
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Sourdough Discard (Active starter works too)
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk (I like to use Oat Milk)
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. Optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, & salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients- sourdough discard, milk, olive oil, & egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Heat griddle and spray with oil or grease with butter.
- Once grilled has had time to heat up, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto grilled and add any additional mix-ins at this time.
- Once pancakes begin to bubble, flip over, and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Enjoy and serve with your favorite toppings!